Wednesday, February 7, 2007

What's In My Heart

By Karaka Campbell, former Scott resident, LIFFT member.

We were forced from Scott Projects by HOPE VI, which failed the community. We have a concern for all the homeless people that were put out of their homes with a promise of Section 8 housing. Homes were stolen from up under the people who resided in them. Affordable homes are supposed to be built for these people. From what I know only 12 people have new homes right now.

Now I am fighter for justice for the Scott Projects people. I am one of those people who you can find sitting in front of the last remaining Scott Home. What is this letter for? Well, I'll tell you: We at LIFFT would like to keep this last standing building as a museum for black history. Scott Projects is a part of black history in the black community in Liberty City, Miami, Florida. We would like to see this monument in the middle of a black community.

HOPE VI promised us so much but really it was just developers trying to muscle the working class citizens out of their community.

We at LIFFT would like the people in power and to finance to support this Black History Museum as a monument to your neighborhood. How many of us successful people came from one of these projects? How many know how it feels to lose your history when developers tear down your past?

When I came back to Miami I could not recognize the place that I used to live. Put yourself in my shoes and the people that are homeless as well. Join the fight for what's right and let's save the last remaining Scott Home. Help us fight and win affordable homes for all the Scott Projects residents. Bring the community back to where we know their history.

No comments: